“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

― Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Sunday, August 26, 2012

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Hey guys! Here is a long long long long long long long overdue review of City of Bones so I'm gonna keep it short and sweet. (oooh and also—I almost forgot!!—Happy FIRST DAY OF FILMING for the City of Bones movie! Yep, they started a couple hours ago! I'm SOOO excited! Yay!!)

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Summary from: goodreads.com

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

...........................................................................................................................

Hey guys, so let's start with, I love this series. It's all I could think about this month. Like some of the professional reviews say "it's ferociously entertaining" which I find so so so so so true! There are fabulous plot twists and action scenes. It's a strongly constructed world that I would love to live in (for at least 24 hours)

Here is my rating:



I really really loved this book, it's just not my favorite in the series. Because I love this series SOOOO much I'm actually going to do on JUST the series itself as well, not just the individual books (although We're doing those as well....if you haven't seen Mari's review of City of Ashes —I know! We're so bad, going out of order!!— you can see it right here )

What worked:

Well....Clary's transition into the world worked very well. It was smooth, it made sense, it was funny/scary/exciting all at the same time. Everything made sense and I was pleased.

Simon was super cute and had a lot of nerdy characteristics, and he was overall just her really best friend and I think Clary really needed that and it held her together almost.

Every surprise was genuinely a surprise and every plot twist always helped the book, never killed it.

What didn't work:


What I probably didn't like was how slow it had been moving with Clary and Jace. I kept saying "well MAKE A MOVE ALREADY!" and I couldn't understand why everyone loved Jace so much if he and Clary were always so awkward together. Let me tell you, READ ON MY FRIENDS! Keep going because YOU WILL GET THERE!

I think the reason I gave this book 3 stars wasn't because of something it had...but of something it didn't. But I do not regret finishing it and continuing the series because what it was lacking piled on tenfold in the next books. I would read this book again, if not only to re-live it but to see some truths behind scenes that you won't understand until later books.

All that's left to say is read the series. Because as a whole it is BEAUTIFUL!

............................................................................................................................

Here's the Spoiler-y discussion:

Highlight between the brackets to view spoilers:

{ There isn't much to say here really. The only thing I would make a big deal about would be this:


JACE AND CLARY AND BROTHER AND SISTER OH MY GOSH CASSANDRA CLARE I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND PERSONALLY MAKE YOU PAY FOR WHAT THESE SEVEN WORDS HAVE DONE TO MY HEART!!!!! but I'm not going to say that.....and before you get all bent out of shape saying "WAIT NOOo!" wait one moment.

***Spoiler alert. If you have not read City of Glass do not read this***

That is what I WOULD have said, had I not written this review AFTER I finished the series...trust me, I planned on a full rant but I'm glad I didn't because it just would have made me look stupid. So don't worry, I no longer plan on seeking out Cassandra...:) besides the obvious "CAN YOU PLEASE SIGN MY BOOK?!?!?!!!" but yeah, what were your reactions to the end of this book when you first read it?

***End of Spoilers*** }

So if you guys want to talk about anything about this book in the comments, PLEASE leave a comment! We would love it and it would really add to this lacking Spoiler-y discussion. So if there's anything nagging at your mind saying I MUST SPEAK TO SOMEONE ABOUT THIS! Don't ignore the voice!!! Give in! Leave a comment! It's much appreciated!!

but do remember....(especially if your going to bring up things from books 2, 3, 4, or 5):

Since we are a user friendly blog and want all of our readers to be able to read the comments please add " **SPOILER ALERT** " to your post if it applies. Thanks for your consideration!

Thanks!
 I can't wait for the movie! ;
Comment away!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Since we are a user friendly blog and want all of our readers to be able to read the comments please add " **SPOILER ALERT** " to your post if it applies. Thanks for your consideration!

We love love love your comments! When you leave them it just makes us so happy! Thanks for visiting!

-Kait, Mari, and Rach

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...