“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

― Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Hunger Games Discussion Saturdays

Hey guys!

It's Kait! Today I will be hosting the first (well techincally second) The Hunger Games Discussion Saturdays!

This weeks topic:

Which song(s) from The Hunger Games soundtrack is your absoulte favorite?

Feel free to fangirl because I will be doing a lot of that.

First of all my ABSOLUTE-NOTHING-CAN-SURPASS-THIS-SONG favorite of this album is Eye's Open. There are SO many things about this song that I love and could talk about for days on end. But for this purpose I'm deciding to exclude that song (and Safe and Sound-also an AMAZING song and favorite) from this because I wanted to expand my horizons and choose a song in the album that isn't the most popular.

MY personal FAVORITE of the album would be RULES by Jaymee Dee. I love this one so much because it just sounds so beautiful. It is soft, mellow, and full of raw emotion that makes me want to break down into tears every time I hear it. It's all about Katniss singing to Peeta about his *SPOILER ALERT* hijacking.

"You tell me that you hear me and all your memories are real. But how do I know you don't just feel what you've been told to feel?"

Peeta's hijacking was so terrible. The Peeta you know and love. The one that loves Katniss. And the one that Katniss finally realizes she loves is gone. Gone in the worst way, the kind of gone when the victim is still physically in front of you but not mentally the same. Forever a different person. The kind of gone that tears you apart. The song is the sobbing of Katniss's heart. The mourning off her loss. "We run around the rules." Meaning our relationship is not under regulation. We're not normal. As the star-crossed lovers we're different anyway.

Here are the lyrics.......................Every aspect of this song sings The Hunger Games. Its perfect for the movie album.


You say you know love, but you are just reflecting words you hear.
No iron in your veins to give you any sense of pain or fear.
It's just another lie, it's just another calculation,
And when the power's out, we're just another old sensation.

This blood keeps me alive, but what is it that runs through you?
Electricity and wires, dictating everything you do.
You tell me that you hear me and all your memories are real,
But how do I know you don't just feel what you've been told to feel?

We run around the rules,
We run around the rules,
We run around the rules,
Round and round, two by two, we run around the rules.

There's water in your eyes and I know i'm the reason that it's there,
But still I don't feel bad because I know it's you are more a spare.
And just behind your eyes are switches that can turn back on,
To clear away today 'til all your memories are gone

We run around the rules,
We run around the rules,
We run around the rules,
Round and round, two by two, we run around the rules.

we run around the rules,
We run around the rules,
We run around the rules,
We run around the rules,
Round and round, two by two, we run around the rules.


lyrics from: http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/hungergamesthe/rules.htm


Also this quote

"And just behind your eyes are switches that can turn back on,
To clear away today 'til all your memories are gone."


Katniss doesn't believe Peeta can be fixed at first, but she knows she has to try to bring back that Peeta from before. They boy with the bread.


These quote from Mockingjay:

"I clench his hands to the point of pain. "Stay with me."
His pupils contract to pinpoints, dialate again rapidly, and then return to something resembling normalcy. "Always," he murmurs."
   

           

"You're still trying to protect me. Real or not real," he whispers.
"Real," I answer. "Because that's what you and I do, protect each other."


To sum it all up, its the complications of Katniss and Peeta's relationship.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now Mari and Rach will give their opinions on their favorite song. I hope you guys enjoy The Hunger Games Saturdays. We will be doing more themed days soon.

................................................................................................................................................
Mari

Hey it's Mari and I would do Eyes Open... But I've recieved directions not to do so. So... here it is I'm doing Kingdom Come by the Civil Wars.  It's a gorgeous song that really touches my heart.  It talks about the actual games aspect instead of the romance between Peeta and Katniss (Even though I LOVE PEETA AND KATNISS!!!!!!!!!) I decided since my colleagues both did Keeta songs  to go on a more simple topic still VERY open for discussion! *SQUEALS* Sorry I just really love THG it's my life! BTW really off topic but.. on ig @yolo_thg   THATS ME! Back on topic.  So this song is about surviving in the games and in the lyrics one interesting part is where it says- "Run,run,run and hide. Somewhere no one else can find."  This reminds me of the part of the book where Katniss is going to go steal food from the careers and she leaves Rue alone.  I can imagine her saying this to young Rue at almost any point in time but this part is high in emotion, tension and just pure adrenaline! That makes it a perfect match with this part of the song.  Another part makes you assume that this song could be sent out to Peeta because of this quote from the song, "Don't you fret my dear.  It'll all be over soon. I'll be waiting here for you" This reminds me of when Peeta's leg is all messed up and then she needs to go get medicine for his leg and he won't let her go so she gives him the sleep medicine that Haymitch sent and she gently caresses him to sleep.  Wouldn't that be perfect?!  That's enough ranting about the lyrical composition of the song now let's rant about the musical part of the song.  The Civil Wars are amazing they know how to blend their voices so perfectly that it creates a sound like no one else. They create a blend of high and low pitches that takes your breathe away.  So they make a sound that perfectly represents the sound that I imagine should come from the Hunger Games a delicate sound that is sort of sad but has a hopeful piece to it. So, together the lyrical composition paired with the amazing vocals makes Kingdom Come a great song that really represents The Hunger Games perfectly!
SO HERE'S THE LYRICS:

Run, run, run away
Buy yourself another day
A cold wind's whispering secrets in your ear
So low only you can hear
Run, run, run and hide
Somewhere no one else can find
Tall trees bend and lean pointing where to go
Where you will still be all alone
Don't you fret, my dear
It'll all be over soon
I'll be waiting here for you
Run fast as you can
No one has to understand
Fly high across the sky from here to kingdom come
Fall back down to where you're from
Don't you fret, my dear
It'll all be over soon
I'll be waiting here for you
For you, for you
Don't you fret, my dear
(Don't you fret, my dear)
It'll all be over soon
(It'll all be over soon)
I'll be waiting here
Don't you fret, my dear
It'll be over soon
I'll be waiting here for you
For you, For you

Run, Run, Run Away
Run, Run, Run Away

Lyrics from: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/civilwars/kingdomcome.html


................................................................................................................................................
Rach

Hey it's Rach!!! So Safe and Sound is my fav song off the album, but Kait won't let me write about it so I went on itunes and listened to the other songs. One of the songs that really got my attention was Just a Game by Birdy. This song is pretty slow and emotional, like a lot of the songs on the album, but the lyrics really caught my eye (well ear.........you know what I mean......). I believe that the lyrics talk about Katniss and Peeta and how *Spoiler Alert* at the beginning, they only pretended to be in love so the audience would love them. But after the games, that love became real. In the song is talks about Peeta taking Katniss in her arms and protecting her and then Katniss is asking, "Is it just a game?" Then Katniss realizes that there love is real. Katniss also mentions in there how it feels to be in the games. To be surrounded by people who are set on killing her. And Peeta's strength to her when she realizes he meant the star-crossed lover thing. "We're all just pieces in their games."

Here are the lyrics:

I don't know where I am,
I don't know this place.
Don't recognize anybody,
Just the same old dirty face.
See these people, they lie,
And I don't know who to believe anymore.

But there comes you,
To keep me safe from harm
There comes you,
To take me in your arms
Is it just a game?
I don't know.
Is it just a game?
I don't know.

He denies to break my heart
So homesick and confused?
But I know I must play my part
When tears I must conceal,

There comes you,
To keep me safe from harm
There comes you,
To take me in your arms

Is it just a game?
I don't know
To keep you safe from my world

Take my hand and my heart ?
Flames illuminate our faces
And we are on fire
Blow a kiss to the crowd
They're our only hope now.

And I know my place.
And I know my place.
We're all just pieces in their games.



I also found a couple of quotes from the books that I think are appropriate for the song and my interpretation:

“But because two can play at this game, I stand on tiptoe and kiss his cheek. Right on his bruise. ”

“And while I was talking, the idea of actually losing Peeta hit me again and I realized how much I don't want him to die. And it's not about the sponsors. And it's not about what will happen when we get home. And it's not just that I don't want to be alone. It's him. I do not want to lose the boy with the bread.”

“You’re not leaving me here alone,” I say. Because if he dies, I’ll never go home, not really. I’ll spend the rest of my life in this arena, trying to think my way out.”


Now I think you know what to do (if you don't, it's go and listen to the song! Duh!).
-Rach

...................................................................................................................................................

Don't forget to comment on with your favorite song and opinions! (feel free to write about Safe and Sound or Eyes Open if it's your favorite song. Just because we excluded it for our discussions here doesn't mean you have to. By all means, tell us why you love it!)

Here's a departing quote for your personal enjoyment! (from Catching Fire):

"So it's you and a syringe against the Capitol? See, this is why no one lets you make the plans."


-Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since we are a user friendly blog and want all of our readers to be able to read the comments please add " **SPOILER ALERT** " to your post if it applies. Thanks for your consideration!

We love love love your comments! When you leave them it just makes us so happy! Thanks for visiting!

-Kait, Mari, and Rach

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...